Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Wednesday, July 16, 2003  

Wishlist

One thing Rowan magazines lack is an index by type of yarn. This would help immensely when purchasing yarn without a pattern in mind or even when substituting yarn in a Rowan pattern. I usually thumb through the entire magazine (photos and patterns) to get a match and repeat this process with each issue.

To rectify, I have started entering the patterns from each of my Rowan mags into an Excel file with this info:
· Magazine #,
· Name of pattern,
· Type of yarn needed,
· Quantity of yarn needed in my size,
· A scale of 1 to 5 for my interest in knitting the garment, and
· Notes if I want to buy yarn in certain colors, have the yarn or similar minutia.
This will be great once I finish. All I will need to do is sort by yarn type and there will be all the Rowan Wool Cotton patterns. I can further specify the sort by # of balls or rank of my interest. I still need a key to the yarns in regards to needle size and gauge, especially for substitutions. I can load this file on my Sony Clie for yarn shopping on the go! Think this meets the definition of borderline compulsive-obsessive? Nope!


Today’s Knitting News
Will start the last sleeve of Tuscany today and hope to finish knitting by Friday so I can attempt the Vogue chunky top in 1 weekend! I swatched Jaeger Aero, a blend of wool (51%) and acrylic (49%). It was a challenge to knit chenille as it catches easily, a dropped stitch is impossible to find and counting the gauge was difficult without bright sunlight. I imagine frogging would be tough as the curls bond together into something fabric-like.

The color is dark bluish-black and the needle size I used was #8 & #9 US (note the red yarn line). I preferred #9 and found the pearl side of the stockinette stitch is much more attractive, almost bouclé-like. All I need is a pattern that will accommodate the stiffer drape. This garment will need little-to-no blocking. A simple pullover or simple cardie would suit me.

posted by Nora | 11:52 AM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives