Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Friday, January 23, 2004  

Today’s Knitting News

I cast on the front of Mark’s sweater and am almost to the armhole shaping on Ava. Today I charted an iron cross graph. In the manner of the Skull Cap, Mark wants a chocolate brown cap with this motif. This is my TGIF project. At this time, these are my three works in progress, with two TGIF projects waiting in the wings (an Ara cap and a red felted bucket).

Originally the Iron Cross was a Prussian award, instituted by the King of Prussia, Friedrich Wilhelm III, in 1813 during the wars against Napoleon. It went into abeyance (the condition of temporary suspension) until it was brought back for the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, and then again in 1913, and again in 1939. Unfortunately, Hitler used a “bastardized” version that is now (fortunately) prohibited by German law.

On a lighter note, this was on my calendar for this weekend. It is a good spoof of Bowie and his running interference in my knitting. Since he has long hair, it often gets knit into my work…then I have to pull the gold hairs out.

posted by Nora | 1:59 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives