Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Tuesday, December 14, 2004  

Today’s Knitting News

While my blogging has been non-existent, knitting has not been. On Sunday, I attended a Sally Melville workshop on creativity. It lasted three hours and was a unique seminar; not so much about knitting but a great deal about the left and right side of the brain and how the creative process works. Ms. Melville is an excellent public speaker and noted she has presented to several non-knitting groups. Her academic training was apparent, as she attributed ideas she obtained from other sources to the authors. Here is her creative biography. Of these books, I have owned one by Betty Edwards since I was 20 called Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I also purchased the one by Farson and Keyes today via Amazon while I was ordering other books for the office.

Cameron, Julia (with Mark Bryan). The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. Putnam’s Sons, New York, 1992.

Csikszentmihayli, Mihaly. Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention. Harper Collins, New York, 1996.

------------------------------, 1993. The Evolving Self: A Psychology for the Third Millennium.

------------------------------, 1990. Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience.

Edwards, Betty. Drawing on the Artist Within: An Inspirational and Practical Guide to Increasing Your Creative Powers. Simon and Schuster, New York, 1986.

Farson (Richard) and Keyes (Ralph). The paradox of innovation. The Free Press, Simon & Schuster, New York, NY 2002.

Goleman (Daniel), Kaufman (Paul), Ray (Michael). The Creative Spirit. Penguin Books, New York, NY, 1992.

Siler, Todd. Think Like a Genius. Bantam Books, New York, NY 1996.

Van de Castle, Robert. Our Dreaming Mind. Ballantine Books, New York, 1994.

The most interesting aspect of meeting Ms. Melville was how chic she was. Her designs, to me, have a universal appeal and I had not thought of them as “high fashion”. Although I have her knit and purl experience books, I have not yet made any items. I have decided that next year, I will make my sister’s cardigan/coats based on her patterns. Sally’s Einstein Coat and Vision Coats were awesome in person. The main barrier is the cost of the yarns: Trendsetter Dune and Muench Touch Me run about $14 +/- each and these coats take around 14 balls.

posted by Nora | 3:44 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives