Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Friday, January 28, 2005  

Today’s Knitting News

Knitting socks is an all or none proposition. That is, either you love to knit them or you don’t. I don’t. My first sock needs the toes completed and a mate. Why don’t I like them? Because you get one done and you cannot wear it. They remind me of sleeves---you need two. But with sleeves, I knit both at once and get around that feeling. If someone could present a way to knit two socks at once, I might reconsider. But I don’t do socks. Additionally I like knee socks, not calf-high. Which would mean an extra ball (or two) and that would increase the cost. My knee socks come from Target in January at a cost of two or three dollars. They are wool, merino or angora blends. They do the job for when I wear slacks to work with dress boots.

Which leads me to baby/tots/children’s knits…I don’t do them. I cannot see putting the time into a garment that will be grown out of and the “heirloom” concept (i.e., passing the item along to a sibling/cousin/etc.) is a fancy word for hand-me-down. As a kid with two older sisters and a cousin, I hated it.

What else is there that I will not knit? Answer: Gloves and mittens, with the exception of fingerless which have many practical applications. I usually wear leather with a thinsolate or cashmere lining.

Driving in a slippery glove/mitten is not comfortable. As far as outdoors go, I wear ski gloves since they are warm AND dry. Again, knitted hand coverings get damp. I adore the beautiful patterns that are stranded knitting – they look like works of art. If I made a pair, they would be just that…an item to look at, but never to be worn. Blogs featuring these artifacts are wonderful…I live vicariously through others.

Those are my three will-not-knits. It would take exceptional circumstances to get me to reconsider.

posted by Nora | 1:21 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives