Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Tuesday, March 08, 2005  

Today’s Fiber News

I have been working on finishing Louis from Denim People. I removed the sleeves (had sewn them in) to shorten by an inch and a half. I removed the denim patches and still need to re-sew. The zipper --- well I tried to machine stitch, but the fabric of yarn is too slippery…so I removed the zipper. Last night I basted it in with a contrasting color, and then sewed it by hand. I am very pleased with the outcome. After putting the zipper in, I sewed the collar down. Now I am trying to decide if it is satisfactory or if I will tweak it. Never have I spent so much time finishing but it is so worth it is the final product is perfect or as close as I can get. I find I wear my knitted items that fit and are finished to the best of my ability so much more often than those that are less than what I want them to be… At this point Louis is a collar and two patches away from completion. I really want to wear it to work Friday so that is my deadline.

Last week I went to an open house at my LYS, Yarns Unlimited. They opened a 3rd floor with classrooms, a kitchen and a beautiful, well-lite knitter’s lounge. It was a great addition to the store. I am excited by the type of classes they will be offering. While hanging out I finished my cat cap above. It is made of Frog Tree Chunky Alpaca which knits like a dream. I hate itchy on my head and this is like a cloud. The pattern is really adorable. Sasha Kagan (An internationally known British designer, she has built a multi-faceted knitwear design business from her isolated home in mid-Wales. Best known for her work with Rowan yarns) will be coming to Yarns Unlimited in the next month or so.

I have my first finished crochet object that I sent off to a friend. Looking for crochet books is my new, fun past time and I indulged in three: Freeform Knitting and Crochet by Jenny Dowde and Hooked on Crochet by Candi Jensen and Vogue Knitting on the Go: Crocheted Scarves (Vogue Knitting On The Go) by Trisha Malcolm.
I splurged on 6 hooks, 4 by Skacel and a couple metal ones. I only am missing 2 or 3 sizes. I am getting close to planning my first real project!

posted by Nora | 3:45 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives