Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Monday, September 12, 2005  

Today's Fiber News

Actually, I have two weeks worth of news, but that will have to wait. I have to address my Pittsburgh secret pal and apologize to her and the organizer, Jane. I had a four day weekend away cut short by illness. I felt like death warmed over for the last 24 hours and real life went to the way-side. BTW, thanks to all that ID'ed the nuts as hickory. A friend gave me the real McCoy; walnuts. Mark shelled two of them and had brown hands immediately. Rubber gloves coming up! Pre-illness, I picked bunches of ink berries across the road. I need to get steeping, but Mark tossed my collection of plastic buckets (old kitty litter buckets work great).

For my secret pal and/or other interested parties:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you? Imma Snob.

2. Do you spin? Crochet? Yes, yes.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.) Just hideous ones like dust, mold, pollen, grass, etc. Also medicine that is important to life-saving (antibiotics, muscle relaxers, iodine, etc.). But nothing fiber related!!!!!

4. How long have you been knitting? I learned in January of 1988, knit for a year, went on hiatus until December 1999. I have knit (practically) every day since.

5. Do you have an Amazon, Knitpicks or other online wish list? No.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Spicey candles and sweet baths.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? One tooth craves dark chocolate.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? None at the moment…

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I am not an audio person, normally…radio is for to/from work (or dancing with my honey).

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? I cannot stand yellow. I love any shade from pale pink to fuchsia to red to brick. Blues are good too cause of my eye color. The holy grail of colors would be an eggplant purplish wine (there is another name for this that starts with “A” ---augerine, agerine, abergune, abergine??????). It is too late at night to track this down-help?

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? One husband, Mark and two cats: Mick and Bowie.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) Good health, more time, a comfortable income (or more $$$)…a positive, happy family and lots and lots of fiber fun.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Anything natural (plant or animal). But right now… alpaca because it is so soft and costs less than cashmere. Soft merino is nice. Since winter is coming, anything soft and furry. I also am into hand-dyed yarns (multiple colors) and would like to get more involved with dying.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I do not like fibers that are scratchy or synthetic-looking/plasticy looking.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Lace is a problem for. But with winter coming…the chunk most definitely will return. I like variety so today’s obsession will be tomorrow’s project on hold.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? It would be easier to say what I do not like to knit…socks. Otherwise, bring on the needles from US # 1 to 19, intarsia, Fair Isle, cables, you name it…I enjoy it.

17. What are you knitting right now? Finishing a simple garter stitch lace shawl for a house warming gift…about 12 rows to go, then I will be making bags & coin purses to felt for the next 2 weeks.

18. What do you think about ponchos? I made mine of Berocco Glace in the year 2000 (pattern from 1999 Vogue Knitting magazine; now reproduced in one of their recent books). Right now I prefer a shawl or cape/capelet or a shrug rather than a poncho.19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?Love my Dennis’s – would like to get a couple of the longer extensions.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Bamboo or plastic.

21. Are you a sock knitter? No—see question 16.

22. How did you learn to knit? I was ill and could not drive for three months; once a week my Dad would take me to a knitting store on Route 8 to learn to knit and work on my project.

23. How old is your oldest UFO? 17 years old; my first was a sweater---went from a swatch to a sweaterJ.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?Hello Kitty.

25. What is your favorite holiday? Easter.

26. Is there anything that you collect? Lamb or cat motif items.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Interweave Knits, Spin Off, Rowan.


28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Either book by Cat Bordhi (Treasury of Magical Knitting or A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting). Also: The “I Hate To Finish Sweaters” Guide to Finishing Sweaters by Janet Szabo. Otherwise, my book collection is pretty full.

posted by Nora | 11:14 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives