Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Friday, October 21, 2005  

Today’s Fiber News
How exciting it was yesterday, to come home from work and open the mailbox. Normally, getting mail is a thing I like but to see a package…with very neat handwriting…and it rattles! It is from my Pittsburgh Secret Pal!

I have never tried this yarn: Cascade Pastaza, 50% llama and 50% wool! It is a purple-black yarn, yummy – I have 396 yards to make…help!? What to make – the shawl stick makes me think shawl or maybe a shrug…it will be looking at magazines tonight. Isn’t the stick a neat gift – it is burgundy colored wood with a tassel --- how did my secret pal know I like these? I have a start of a collection. Secret pal, do you have a vision for the yarn?

Tried the chocolate immediately – dark cocoa with java bits. An awesome flavor. I am very restrained and will be able to ration this bar for a month – it is a thing with me to make the chocolate melt in my mouth and not to bite it. Last is the lotion and salve for smooth hands. It came from my favorite street in Pittsburgh: Walnut Street in Shadyside. My first memory of this street is when I was 11 or 12 years old. My sister, Corinne (Kitty), went to nursing school at Shady Side Hospital that year (she is 9 years older than I). I remember visiting her and going to this street. Back then, the paper store was still my favorite with all the unique items. Now, Kitty, is a CRNA at Shadyside (she gases people getting heart surgery and stuff like that). When I was a kid, I wanted to be a dentist. She took me into the school’s lab. The sight of the things in jars and her telling me I would have to cut open a skull for practice made me change my mind quickly. I cannot handle blood – I faint.

The finished pinwheel -- Mark will give it to his buddy tomorrow. I do not know if the baby arrived or not; it was due. My first and hopefully last knitted baby/toddler/child item.

posted by Nora | 12:10 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives