Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Wednesday, February 01, 2006  

Today’s Fiber News


These are the pieces to the Tess cardie (Rowan #30, made of Rowan Yorkshire Tweed). What the photo does not show? It is seed stitch! The resulting material did not require blocking; it has that much body and the shape is to specs.

Tonight will be happy seaming. I also am about 2/3 of the way through the Cat’s Paw Shawl (a free pattern on the web). I am making it from my homespun in a gorgeous smokey gray. It is spun from alpaca and plied with a thread of silk and steel.

<

Speaking of homespun, this is my latest purchase of roving. Yes, I allow myself to buy spinning implements just NO MORE YARN. If you don’t know why this is so, just check my inventory of yarn for projects. What I have learned about roving though is that you need to have a project in mind prior to spinning. It is not an absolute, however, it makes spinning decisions easier. Like whether it will be single or two-ply and the weight of the yarn.



Speaking of which, I also broke down and bought a little tool that measures WIP (wraps per inch). Not only is it useful for homespun, I will use it a lot when substituting yarns to assure compatibility.

posted by Nora | 11:50 AM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives