Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Tuesday, May 30, 2006  

Today’s Fiber News

I can only hope that heaven is like the Great Lakes Fiber Festival. I saw fiber-thingies there I have only seen in catalogs, along with items I have never imagined. I was keep in check by my husband or I would now be severely in credit card debt.

Mark was a very good sport. Two things helped: I took a shopping list and a budget (in cash). I told him if I wrote a check, I was over budget; that only happened once. Also, one vendor had homemade fudge. I bought a bag and feed him through two of the four barns (the event was on the fair show grounds and it was very nicely done).

We both enjoyed my trying various spinning wheels. He talked about the mechanics (enclosed casings versus those that need oiled, etc.). Meanwhile, I feel in love with two Majacrafts: Suzy and Rose.

My first thought was to sell my Ashford Traveler in order to afford another wheel. But both of these wheels fold and are portable, so my second thought was to own two wheels, a stationary one and a portable. In any case, a new wheel is way in the future, right now we need a brush hog to mow 18 acres much more than I need another spinning wheel.

My list consisted of: at least two drop spindles (I bought 3); fiber that was either beautifully hand-dyed or a fiber I had not spun before and one skein of lace weight yarn. Fortunately the booths were not overly crowded and one could peruse freely.

Today, I will present a Bosworth mini drop spindle made of purpleheart wood. This is one of two Bosworth spindles I purchased. A great spindle for a purse as it is not much larger than my Palm! The sizes (large to small) are: large, midi, mini and featherweight. Each is made from uniquely different woods. The very best part of this event was being able to touch and try the spindles before buying. The Bosworth spindles remind of the energizer bunny. They just keep on spinning and spinning and …it seems a feat of engineering that they keep going. I plan to read more about this brand.

I am spinning handpainted 2 oz. of 100% Tussah silk sliver from Crosspatch Creations. Tussah silk is produced by wild silk moths instead of the cultivated moths used for the white, smooth silks. Tussah silk moths feed on a wide range of vegetation giving an unexpected variety of natural colours, including cream, stone, honey and deeper brown.

The color is Pearled Peach, although it is more coral than this photo. The other colors: charcoal, which is blacker and the gold, which is not as lemony. This is washed out in the sun on my car seat. The label had this to say about spinning and washing instructions: “If you want your yarn to change colors often, rip tussah roving length-wise in sections of one quarter to one half inch. Your silk has been washed and rinsed. There is no need to rewash. However, if your finished project needs washing, we suggest only washing and rinsing in cool water using a very small amount of Dawn dish detergent. This should be a quick wash and rinse – do not soak. Whichever detergent you use, be sure it contains no enxyme boosters or bleach. Do no use fabric or water softeners.”

It has long fibers although slightly slippery. I am enjoying spinning what looks like thread. The real challenge will be in the plying.

posted by Nora | 4:11 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives