Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Friday, June 23, 2006  

Today’s Fiber News
I find it amazing and wonderful that the Pittsburgh Knitophiles web ring has forty members! Especially considering it is just going to be two years old.

This morning we had a baby shower for our office manager. I knit my first baby sweater because Marcie is great. Usually I avoid making baby things but have to admit they finish quickly. The sweater and two hats, knit of Plymouth Encore Worsted (75% acrylic and 25% wool), were knit in two weeks. The patterns are from The Gift Knitter: Knitting Chunky for Babies with Four Legs and Two. An odd combination, but I took it out of the library. There are no baby books in my collection!

As usual, I sewed my “Hand Knit by Nora” label in with a bead at each side instead of stitches. These little things are hard to maneuver for just needing tacked in. I thought this baby sweater looked like cake frosting with decorative icing. It did not originally call for two colors, but I wanted the cable to pop. So it became an intarsia, cable on reverse stockinette. At first I thought I would not like the back ground stitch, but it adds for textural interest to such a small garment. The edging is crochet: crab stitch on the cuffs and single crochet on the bottom and neck. A lot going on for a tiny garment!

posted by Nora | 12:56 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives