Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Monday, June 12, 2006  

Today’s Fiber News


This is the new sign for our stitch ‘n bitch group at Cranberry Barnes & Nobles. Ember (left) and Yvonne (right) willingly jumped in for this shot. Of course we had abandoned the hard chairs set up for us first thing in the evening when four lounge chairs opened up at once.

On Saturday, I traveled with Yvonne to a yarn shop I had not visited before: The Knit Shoppe in Canonsburg. It was a nice little shop and I practiced a great deal of restraint in shopping: buying just 3 skeins (one was the Rowan mentioned below) and a felted bag pattern for a guild class this fall. Playing with their coffee/tea machine helped pass the time. It was a fun little gadget with pods of delicious coffee and teas.

The other yarn I bought was a Patagonia cotton yarn that I have never seen before. Made by Araucania, it is a 100% cotton, bulky, thick and thin-plied yarn in variegated colors. I plan to make a summer Anthropology capelet with it to wear over tank tops.

I loved the Rowan Summer Tweed for the color especially, but also the texture. I did not want to spend $40 on yarn and $16 on a pattern book at this time to make a summer tank. So, with one skein in hand, I created my own kerchief in a day (it never made it to the car for “car knitting”. I will wear it with all of my “kool” turquoise and silver jewelry this summer and probably make more of them as it is adorable.

Nora’s Kool Kerchief

Yarn: Rowan Summer Tweed (75% silk, 30% cotton) – one skein
Needles: Size 6 US straight & size 6 US dpn
Cast on 5 sts.
(RS) Row 1: Knit
(WS) Row 2: K1, yarnover, P to last stitch, yarnover, K1.

Repeat these rows until scarf measures 8 ½ inches from the point, ending with a right side row. Next row: K1, yarnover, *P2tog, yarnover, continue to last stitch from *, K1. Knit one row, pearl one row and bind off.

For ties: Using DPN, cast on two, make i-cord 15” long, leaving 6” tail to sew onto kerchief.

posted by Nora | 12:35 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives