Knit by Nora
Compulsive ~ a strong, irresistible impulse to act (i.e., to knit) and Obsessive ~ to occupy the mind excessively (thus this blog)


Tuesday, August 22, 2006  

Today’s Fiber News

Pattern: Weaver’s Wool Mini Shawl , a free pattern on the knitlist with a Lines & Squares Lace edge from Traditional Knitting for Children & Bears by Furze Hewitt given to me by Connie (then modified for a 10 stitch pattern instead of 14 stitches in order to conserve yarn)
Yarn: Idena Mohair Lux
Content: 60% mohair / 40% dralon
Color: 4100 – variegated neutrals
Yardage: 196.5 yds per ball ( I bought 3 balls and needed one more to finish. A special thanks to Ember who picked up the odd ball from Otter Creek so I could finish.)
Cost: $11.95 for 1st three balls/$12.50 for 4th (total cost $51.35)
My needle size: #8 for pattern gauge of 18 sts. = 4 inches (pattern called for 10 ½). Next time I plan to use a bigger needle even though my 8 matched gauge. I do not think I would have run out of yarn if I had used a larger needle.
Start date: July 28, 2006
Completion date: August 20, 2006 (would have been done a week or so sooner except I had to wait for yarn)

The yarn was much more muted in the ball. When knit, the colors brightened as the mohair halo was not as concentrated. I am uncertain if I like the striping as well as I would have a more random distribution of color. I could have alternated two balls, but by the time I realized what was occurring, I did not want to frog mohair. Since this shawl will be a gift, probably for my sister, it does not matter. The final shawl shape is lovely, as is the drape of the fabric. And while the patterning is very pleasing; I just had a different picture in my head. I have already purchased yarn to make another for myself. It is the red/purple/pink/fuchsia on the left side of the table (and later on the floor).

Without going into a lot of detail, let’s just say I’ve been a very bad girl. The Handworks in Smicksburg and Silverbrook Fiber Arts in Marchland (both in Indiana County) were the recipients of my hard-earned pay checks. Silverbrook is now officially my favorite fiber store (yarn, roving, looms, wheels, you name it).While Y.U. will be my favorite LYS, it is only yarn. For a total fiber experience (you can get high on the fiber fumes), it is Silverbrook. Plus Ginger, the owner, is very special. You would have to meet her to understand why. This business has been in existence for over 25 years and it is no cookie cutter, newbie yarn shop. It is the real deal, the whole enchilada, the genuine article…

In any case, Mick was very upset that I had been gone 8 hours on a shopping trip and he really does not like my stuffed Black Sheep (back right) that Ginger made.

But the yarn really jumped off the table! See, Mick did not even jump down after it.

posted by Nora | 3:23 PM
Comments: Post a Comment
On the Needles
Gallery
Patterns
Archives